Every hotel has a marketing strategy. However, if that strategy does not include social media content, then it is a very limited strategy. The most engaging way to attract new customers and retain old customers is to use social media. This growing platform has countless users, especially in the upcoming generations. Therefore, businesses have good opportunities to leverage such outlets for their economic gain.
Social media is a varied platform, including networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. While all of these sites have their own appeal, hotels in particular should also remember blogging. Blogging can have a dramatic impact. Blog posts are fun and informative, often highlighting events and programs at the hotel. Hotels can also blog about community events and tourist attractions in the vicinity.
There are three very compelling reasons to utilize a blog as part of a hotel’s marketing plan.
1. Google loves it. Every business understands that most customers utilize the Internet for their purchasing decisions, and this is especially true in the hospitality industry. The majority of customers look for hotels on the Internet, which makes search engine optimization, or SEO, so important. SEO can help improve a website’s standing in Google, which means it appears higher in a list of search results. Customers are more likely to click on links near the top of the results. Good SEO maintenance is more than keyword stuffing. Modern search engines have a much more nuanced system in place, and fresh content can help keep a website high in Google’s search results. One of the easiest ways to keep a website flush with new content is to maintain a blog.
2. Guests love it. Blogging is also an incredibly popular pastime. Many people write in such a medium for fun, and even more people follow blogs that they enjoy. In this way, a hotel blog can not only be a means of advertising the facility and the location but it can also be a way to better connect with guests. If the blog can appeal to customers on a personal level, it can be an engaging way to keep customers in tune with the hotel and the destination. This can increase the probability of repeat customers.
3. Facebook loves it. Blogging is also a great way to stay connected on other social media platforms. Many hotels have Facebook or Twitter accounts, but those accounts can be difficult to leverage well. After all, with limited posting space, it is hard to find the right thing to post. By using a blog in conjunction with these accounts, it is possible to always have something new to post. Promoting blog posts on parallel social media accounts is a great way to use all types of social media for the maximum effect.
These are reasons why every hotel should start a blog. However, having a blog is only the first step. It is essential to know how to use it correctly. To blog more effectively, consider the three following tips.
1. The platform. Blogging is a vast medium, so it is no surprise there are a variety of platforms from which to choose. While all blogging sites have distinct advantages, WordPress is one of the best. WordPress has been well refined for blogging, and it has a fantastic tagging system. In fact, by correctly tagging a post, it is possible to attract more attention. Plus, WordPress has a great interactive interface that makes commenting easy. Reblogging is also very popular, making it simple for other users to promote a post. On top of all that, there are many people who already use WordPress, making it a vibrant community to consider.
2. The structure. Blogging has been made easy thanks to supportive interfaces like WordPress. However, blogging successfully takes a bit more work. A good blog is about more than fresh content every few days. A good blog requires knowledge of SEO. This means that the blog post should have the right balance of keywords. It is also important to develop an engaging headline and an informative summary. These elements not only connect with readers but will help promote the blog on search engines.
3. The pictures. The last thing to remember is that blogs are not merely about words. While there is a written component, increasing numbers of users prefer the visual elements more. Therefore, successful blogs often have quality images to anchor the post. In fact, visitors should be able to enjoy the post without reading much of it at all.
Ultimately, blogging can be an essential part of a hotel marketing plan. While some hotels rely heavily on Google AdWords, blogging can have a similar impact without the cost. A quality blog post can boost any website, putting it at the top of Google for months.
- The Impact Of Social Media In The Travel Marketing Industry (by forbes.com)
- Effective Blogging Can Increase Hotels’ Revenues (by hmghotelsblog.com)
- Are blogs REALLY that important to hotels? (by tnooz.com)
Article / Photography Copyright ©2000/2014 Tourismbusiness.org | All Rights Reserved Worldwide.